Only a proper batching of a cow after calving can provide the breeder with a big yield in the coming months. If you do everything wrong, the cow will get sick, become nervous, or stop giving milk at all. But not only the technology of milking is important, it is also important to feed in the early days and massage, hygienic procedures. How to breed a cow after calving will be described in detail later in the article.
What you need to know about the nutrition of the cow after calving?
The section lasts for three months and all this time the cow is provided with everything that it needs for normal well-being. Food - this is what will allow to get from a cow after calving high-quality, good milk. Therefore, before wondering how to crush a cow after calving, you need to provide her with a full feed.
The body of a cow is designed so that in the first days after calving, along with colostrum, more nutrients are eliminated from the body than are fed with food. Therefore, you need to increase the nutritional value and the amount of food, otherwise the animal will weaken.
High quality hay is given in unlimited quantities.
- High quality hay is given in unlimited quantities. It should be freely available for the first 2-3 days - cows usually do not eat more than they need.
- A small amount of concentrates (easily digestible) are put into a bran mash and fed in the first 2-3 days. They are given so that the section goes without complications.
- 3 days after calving, you need to begin to introduce concentrates of 1 kg per day, preferably of high quality, which are easily digested.
- On day 6, you can already feed and root vegetables (fodder beets, potatoes, etc.), mineral supplements, silage. It is important not to give more than 25 g of beets per day in order not to cause an excess of nitrites.
- Green fodder can be fed only for 10 days, but if a cow has an inflamed udder, it is worthwhile to transfer the feeding with greens for 20 days after calving.
On the 20th day, if there are no problems and diseases, the milk production at the cow is normalized. If you correctly calculate the feed, milk yield can be increased by 3-4 liters per day! Milk gain is also influenced by the quality of hay, silage and haylage. So, before you crush a cow after calving, you need to take care to have all the necessary nutrients in her body.
Water is given 3 times a day, warm, in such quantity that a cow can master. In the diet of young mommy should be a lot of calcium and not a lot of phosphorus - it is also important to follow this.
What to do after calving?Read also these articles.
- What is a laurel cherry
- Durum Wheat
- Hydroponic Nutrient Solution
- Strawberry diseases and pests
Immediately after calving, the cow needs to be given an energy cocktail.
Immediately after calving, the cow must be given water. Childbirth is an exhausting process, so in the stall where the young mommy is located, water is needed, in large quantities. She is placed so that the cow can reach her without any problems. If she is lying, you need to substitute a low pelvis so that she can comfortably drink. At the same time, the water is given warm, slightly salted, not lower than +25 degrees, because the cow's body is already weakened, she has no need for colds. To achieve such a temperature of water, you can put a bucket in the sun or put a stove on the battery. But you can not heat it on fire or boil!
Half an hour later they give hay (legume-cereal). The higher the quality, the better. The fact is that good hay is more useful, it is absorbed faster, more nutritionally - this is what the cow needs after calving.
Now it is worthwhile to place the animal so that it rests, since it is possible to irritate the cow after calving only with its normal state of health. But there is no need to go far or for a long time - the cow's body after calving is unpredictable, anything can happen, so you need to look into the stall all the time.
How to properly carry out the cow after calving?
A cow after calving is performed gradually - this is a very long process, but if you hurry and do not follow the rules, the cow can begin serious problems.
The first milking can be started only 1.5-3 hours after calving. By this time the animal will get drunk, eat if it wants and can even relax a little. Before you start the first parting of the cow after calving, the udder is washed with warm water, massaged a little - very gently so that the cow gets used to human hands, otherwise it can start kicking! Then you can proceed to the milking. Milk slowly, gently, in the udder you need to leave some milk to avoid the development of paresis. After milking, the udder is smeared with cream and massaged again.
2 days after calving it is worth milking a cow a little, 4-5 times a day. If there is little milk, milking will be replaced by a massage. The animal will quickly get used to what time the milking is done, and will not be afraid or resist the process. But this is not done intensively, "squeezing" all the milk out of it in order to sell more can not be! This is very harmful, painful and unpleasant for the animal, as it can be very tense breast.
The transition to 3 one-time milking starts from 3 days, and 2 times a day when the cow starts producing 10 liters of milk per day. Udder massage before and after milking should be carried out until the 10th day after the calving of the animal. After that, you can massage only after milking.
Expert adviceWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Breeding goats as a business
- Colombo potato variety
- Perineum machine
- Fodder beet
Many breeders are interested in how to milk a cow after calving. The above process has been described. But besides the most important points, it is worth adhering to some recommendations that will allow to increase the productivity of the cow and improve her physical condition.
The first 3 days after calving the cow can not be milked much, because her udder is already overstressed
- The first 3 days after calving the cow cannot be milked much, since its udder is already over-stressed.
- So that the milkiness does not decrease, the cow should be fed at the same time and after that it should be fed at the same time. Delayed feeding can lead to nervousness and problems with the animal's digestive tract.
- If milking is carried out at different times, milk may disappear from a cow.
- If, after calving or after a few days, the cow has udder pathology, any bad symptoms (purulent, bleeding, swelling, inflammation, rash, etc.), you should immediately call the veterinarian to understand what happened and proceed to proper treatment.
- How did the cows start after calving, you need to pay a lot of attention to the animal. If he is ill or has problems with the gastrointestinal tract, he needs to solve the problem immediately, simply by calling the veterinarian and starting treatment.
- Overfeeding a cow after calving is impossible. Feed must be nutritious and given frequently, but in small quantities!
- Feeding exclusively with concentrated feed can lead to stomach problems, so the concentrates are fed in the composition of mash, mixed with root crops, silage.
- The higher the fat content and the amount of milk in a cow, the more feed it should receive.