Vietnamese pigs are very profitable in terms of breeding. They do not eat much, are easy to care for, but have high productivity. One sow can give from 10 to 20 piglets and independently feed them. Keeping Vietnamese piglets is not difficult, however, there are certain features that breeders need to be aware of. How to properly keep pigs at home will be discussed below in the article.
What are the features of Vietnamese piglets?
Vietnamese piglets are recommended for breeding not only to people with experience in this matter, but also to inexperienced, young breeders. They are not noisy, intelligent, calm, behave well, and that much important - clean. For example, they go to the toilet only in one, specific place, usually it is pure concrete, without straw or sawdust. These animals always look neat.
The content of Vietnamese piglets is not time consuming and not expensive
The maintenance of Vietnamese piglets is not time consuming and not expensive. They eat almost everything, and they do not need any special conditions, although there are some moments to be considered, but this is slightly lower. In terms of productivity, it is a profitable breed. Vietnamese are born with a weight of about 500 g, and by the year they weigh in the range of 80 kg. Their meat and lard is very tender, tasty, juicy, it is quickly bought up on the market, and with a large scale of business it can be profitable to sell it for processing or to stores, just need to stock up on all the necessary licenses and certificates of product quality.
Farrow pigsRead also these articles.
- How to grow apricot from the stone
- Description melon varieties Ethiopka
- David Austin Roses
- Candy for bees
Puberty in the Vietnamese pig occurs in 3-4 months. At about 5 months, you can knit it. By this time, it will reach the desired size, will have a stable immune system and will be able to morally and physically endure the offspring. Farrowing problems usually do not arise - a natural and fast process, but the breeder’s assistance will not interfere in the preparations and after the birth itself. But what and when to do?
Pig before giving birth begins to behave restlessly, she is looking for the right place, crush the hay under her, so that it is as soft as possible, it can even chew it. At the same time, her abdomen goes down, and her nipples are poured, becoming almost red. What is required at this time from the breeder?
At the same time her abdomen goes down, and her nipples are poured, they become almost red.
- The place where the female will give birth is cleaned, so that there are no "foci" of potential infection or pests.
- Need to remove sawdust and lay on the floor as soft hay to simplify the work of the pig.
- At the nest is a basin of water. It must be steady, so that the pig does not throw it, and the water must be taken warm, but not boiled! After giving birth, the female will want to drink.
- For the young, an angle is made where Vietnamese piglets will be kept for the first few weeks or even months (depending on the amount of space).
- Clean rags, scissors are prepared to cut the umbilical cord, iodine.
Help to the female is not needed during the childbirth, but if there are many piglets, she may not have time to lick them and they will simply suffocate in the mucus. So you can help the female to get the job done faster. Piglets are wiped directly on the hay, they are not taken, they are wiped, they are placed closer to the female, then they are left, the young mom will take over the rest of the work. If you wish, you can weigh the pigs, they should weigh about 500 grams.
What conditions do Vietnamese piglets need?
In order for the young growth to grow and develop quickly, it is necessary that the maintenance of Vietnamese piglets at home is right.
Under walking better to equip a small area
- The pigsty or the stall where they live should be made of brick, wood. The floor is usually made concrete, uneven, with drains for emptying. Each piglet assign up to 2 square meters. square. Ceilings make from 2 meters to more - depending on the size of the pigsty.
- Drafts should not be. Before winter, when the weather is already cold, you should make sure that there is no draft, if gaps are found, they need to be blown out with foam or laid with fiberglass and cemented. But the ventilation is better to establish, because without it it will be difficult to ventilate the room in winter.
- It is convenient to clean the cement floor, but not to rest, therefore special wooden plank beds are made for sleep and rest, they should be the size of a female with cubs. These beds usually take up most of the pigsty. The rest of the place (and the sun beds, too, if desired), you need to lay hay, straw or sawdust - bedding.
- The maintenance of Vietnamese piglets involves their regular walks. Under walking better to equip a small platform. It should be a place for walking, as well as a pool with mud, where piglets can swim in the summer. There should be a shade and a rain shelter on the walking area.
- The troughs for water and food should be installed in such a way that it is easy for the pigs to reach them, otherwise they will simply die of starvation.
How to care for piglets?We recommend reading our other articles.
- The best varieties of Nectarine
- How long do rabbits live?
- Soybean varieties
- How to get rid of ants
Newborn piglets are fully under the care of the female.
Newborn piglets are fully under the care of the female. She looks after them, cares for them, so that the content of Vietnamese pigs at this stage is minimal. From the breeder it is required only high-quality feeding of the female, so that there is enough milk and maintenance of the correct temperature in the pigsty. The first 3-7 days after birth, the room should be about 35 degrees Celsius, then the temperature is gradually reduced. Otherwise, the aggressive, cold environment in which the piglets find themselves can lead to diseases or disturbances in the temperature balance in the body of newborns.
After the pigs have grown up and separated from the mother, they are kept the same as adults, only the diet is slightly different, and they take up less space, which means there will be little dirt from them, at least for the first time.
The maintenance of Vietnamese piglets at home and pig farms, involves timely vaccination. As a rule, after birth, they are given injections of iron and complex vitamins. Prevention of worms is carried out in 40 days. Other diseases are usually vaccinated only by individuals whose meat will be sold, since otherwise it will simply not be allowed to be sold.
Walking can be started from 1 week, you need to open the barn, try to provoke them for a walk. The first time they should walk is no more than 5 minutes, but then the time is increased to the norm for an adult animal.
Walking can be started already from 1 week
And the last thing that Vietnamese pigs need in terms of care is cleanliness. This breed is clean, it does not tolerate dirt around. It is because of poor cleaning or lack of it, the pigs can start to hurt, become lethargic. Cleaning means:
- floor cleaning;
- bedding replacement;
- airing pigsty;
- cleaning of windows and separate stalls for animals;
- washing water troughs and feeders;
- disinfection of the room every 1-3 months;
- preventive work on the destruction of rodents and insects.
How to feed Vietnamese piglets?
The maintenance of Vietnamese piglets is also their proper feeding. The first day the young eat almost every 2 hours, and maybe more. The amount of milk they drink is impossible to verify, but you can take care that the female has plenty of it. For this, they give her high-quality food (it is better to spend a little), with an abundance of vitamins, as well as plenty of water.
In 3 weeks piglets begin to gradually translate into simple food. If weaning youngsters sharply from the mother's milk, the female will start mastitis, and the piglets have digestive problems. Therefore, they are just a little extra feed simple meal. In the month of piglets completely weaned from the mother and stop drinking her milk.
Vietnamese piglet content is also their proper feeding.
It should be immediately noted that when keeping Vietnamese pigs at home, you need to abandon the roughage, which is often used in feeding other breeds of pigs. These pigs do not digest coarse food. Whole grains, fodder beets, hard straw or greens simply cannot be digested, and this will be a problem for the animal, especially since we are talking about young pigs. Therefore, the food should be as soft and chopped.
Hay can be given from clover, alfalfa, clover, goatling. Shredded zucchini, apples, pears, pumpkin, carrots are fed from vegetables and fruits. They are given fresh, but the potatoes should be cooked before serving. If feed is given, then it should be 40% barley, 30% wheat and 10% corn, oats and peas, and the rest supplements like meal, vitamin, meat and bone meal and grass meal. If the grain is given separately, and not in the feed, they must be thoroughly crushed and steamed before serving for the young.