Gooseberry very independent culture. Usually after the bush is planted care is reduced to watering. Without additional dressings, pruning, it will bear fruit over the years, but one day the berries will begin to shrink, the bush will become painful, and the yield will decrease. The fact is that gooseberries, like currants and many other similar bushes, need to be cared for, and pruning is one of the vital procedures. Gooseberry pruning in spring and autumn will be described below in the article.
Gooseberries can grow up to 1.8 meters, there are higher varieties, but they are not often grown. Pagons in this culture develop very quickly. If the gooseberry pruning is not carried out annually, already in 2 years the bush will turn into an impassable thicket and berries will be problematic, especially from varieties that have prickles.
Important! It is thickened bushes with an abundance of wagons that most often get sick. In dark areas where sunlight does not fall, diseases develop, rot and the shrub can completely disappear if time does not respond.
It is thickened bushes with an abundance of wagons that most often get sick
Berries on the bushes with an abundance of twigs develop and ripen very slowly - they simply do not have enough sunlight. If the rejuvenation of the bush is not carried out, it quickly grows old and in 5-8 years after planting it can stop producing a crop at all.
Planned annual pruning can solve these problems. If it is carried out in time, the bush will grow compactly, not very thickly, there will be fewer diseases, pests will rarely “attack” the plant, yields will not fall for many years, and the harvest will be much easier. But before you cut the gooseberries, you need to figure out when to do it better.
When is it best to cut gooseberries?Read also these articles.
- How to store garlic in the winter in the apartment
- Tomatoes in their own juice for the winter
- Tomato Ketchup
- Perennial asters
The gooseberry pruning time may, in principle, be at any time other than winter, but there are more preferred periods. For increase of productivity and quality of berries, it is worth carrying out cutting in the spring and in the fall.
- Spring pruning gooseberries should be carried out before the start of sap flow - around the beginning of spring (March). If tightened with the procedure, the bush may heal "wounds" longer. During the period of rest, until the bush has awakened, it is much easier for it to transfer all cuts, it is much faster restored.
The first pruned gooseberry
- Autumn pruning is naturally carried out after harvest. The best time can be considered October, sometimes earlier, the main thing is that almost all of the leaves from the bush have crumbled. Before the first frosts, there should be 1-1.5 months for the pagons to heal, the bush should recover and prepare for sleep.
- In the summer to cut gooseberries is not recommended, it can affect the yield. But if it is clear that the new pagon is not growing correctly, it is crooked, it is afflicted by a disease, it has dried up, it has broken - it must naturally be removed by cutting it with shears.
Important! The first pruning of the gooseberry is always carried out immediately after planting - it can be spring or autumn. Shoots are pruned 5 cm, each should have up to 6 buds.
How to prune gooseberries in spring?
Depending on the age of the gooseberry spring pruning may vary significantly.
- On young saplings of the first year, usually all pagones are cut by 3-4 buds. If the branches are frail, weak, you need to cut them into 2-3 buds. All weak branches are removed, there is no use for them. Only the center pivots remain, the strongest are the basis of the future bush.
Spring Gooseberry Pruning
- In 2 years the gooseberry is already quite developed. All the fruits are tied to him at 2-year-old wagons, so pruning should be carried out carefully. That is why, before cutting the gooseberries, it is worth checking twice which branches should be deleted and which should be left. It is necessary to cut exactly weak shoots under the root, and leave the strongest ones, on which the first-year twigs will form.
- In the third year, the base of the bush is already visible - the skeletal branches. This year only extra pagons are removed. The main purpose of pruning is to maintain the shape of the bush, its rejuvenation and sanitary pruning are also important.
- On the bushes after 8-9 years, all the old shoots are removed. From them, there is little use, they do not give any young growth or fruit. You need to leave only 2-3 skeletal branches - the strongest, strongest and healthy. This procedure provokes rejuvenation of the bush - gives it a second life. At the same place, a new bush begins to form, which will be able to provide the gardener with berries for another 5-10 years ahead.
Important! In the spring you need to spend not only the trimming pruning. It is very important to ensure that there are no dry and useless pagons on the gooseberry, there is no use for them, they only pull the sap from the plant.
How to cut gooseberries in the fall?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Tomato variety Hali-Ghali F1
- Potato cultivar Gulliver
- How to grow strawberries from seed
- Broiler ducks
Gooseberry pruning in the fall is carried out in order to rejuvenate the shrub, improve its aesthetic appearance, remove all bad pagons. This procedure allows you to lay the foundation for a bountiful harvest in the following year and prepare the plant for winter.
Autumn Gooseberry Pruning
So how to prune gooseberries in the fall? The first thing to do is to inspect the bush. The first thing pruned branches that are sick, dry, broken. Then at the root you need to cut pagons aged 6-7 years. For convenience, the age of branches is better to label with ribbons. If there were no fruits on any sprigs this season, they should be cut too, there will be not much benefit from them in the future. It will not be superfluous to trim the twigs that grow incorrectly, are twisted or directed inside the bush, and not outward.
By the end of the pruning on the bush usually there are 4-5 strong branches, which can give a good harvest and growth for the next year.
Gooseberry pruning is not a difficult procedure, but requires a responsible gardener. Below are tips on how to make pruning more efficient and not harm the bush.
After the autumn gooseberry pruning, fertilizer needs to be applied, mulch the soil under the bush
- All places cuts worth processing garden pitch.
- After autumn gooseberry pruning, fertilizer needs to be applied, mulching the soil under the shrub.
- When autumn pruning can not cut more than 1/3 of the bush pagon, otherwise the effect of the procedure will be negative.
- To make it easier to determine the age of the pagon, it is worth marking them with ribbons of different colors.
- For cutting only very sharp, ground tools are used.
- To simplify the procedure, it’s worth protecting your hands from prickly pagons with gloves.
- If there are many diseased twigs on the gooseberry, it is easier to completely uproot and discard it, since pruning most of the wagons can severely harm the plant, especially if pruning is done in the autumn, and not in the spring.