Red currant The Ural beauty is valued for tasty, rather large berries and stable, high yield. The variety is grown for the most part in countries with a temperate climate, where there are not very cold winters and warm summers. Suitable for various types of processing, industrial or amateur cultivation.
Description of a grade of currant the Ural beauty
Currant Ural beauty
Currant Ural beauty has an average maturity. The bush is distinguished by its compactness with an abundance of shoots; it grows up to 1.2 m. The shoots are green (young) or brown (old), powerful, and bend slightly. In some places you can notice a weak patina. Leaves are five-lobed, dark green, large. Flowers of medium size. The berries ripen in the hands, which can grow up to 7 cm in length.
Berries weighing up to 1.7 g, round, bright red color. A little seed. Taste is sweet, saturated, not watery. The aroma is strong, very pleasant. Dry substances in the composition of 14.4%, acidity titrated 2.7%. 100 g of the product is 37.5 mg of vitamin C.
Advantages of currantsRead also these articles.
- Periwinkle flower
- Bitter pepper varieties
- Growing parsley from seeds
- The best varieties of columnar cherries
The advantages of the Ural beauty variety are undoubted. Gardeners love this currant and the reason for this is an abundance of positive qualities.
Currant virtues Ural beauty
- Transportability and preservation of berries.
- High frost resistance to -30 degrees Celsius.
- Good yield - 10 kg / bush or 11.7 t / ha on average.
- Shrubs are resistant to powdery mildew, pests are also very rarely damaged.
- May bear fruit up to 20 years!
In addition, the currant Ural beauty quickly takes root in a new place, is not afraid of sudden changes in temperature, so it is most often grown in regions with unpredictable weather.
Disadvantages varieties Ural beauty
If we talk about the shortcomings, the currant Ural beauty, unfortunately they are not devoid. Most gardeners do not like the fact that its self-fertility is only 61.1%. This is sufficient for growing for personal consumption, but not enough in the case when the berries go on sale, so you have to plant other red currant varieties close to it.
In addition, bushes are often affected by aphids, if it is a frequent "guest" on the site. For this reason, it is recommended to carry out preventive spraying or pouring boiling water over bushes in order to eradicate the problem before it appears.
Features of growing and careWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Wheat gluten
- Winter chicken coop
- Breed pigs Karmaly
- Goat Milking Machine
Care for the Ural beauty
One-year-old seedlings are usually chosen for planting, as they are the ones that most quickly take root and give a good harvest the next year. In rare cases, adult bushes are transplanted, for example, if the growing place was bad. The planting period is spring, as the variety does not always take root in the fall.
Care for currant varieties Ural beauty includes typical procedures necessary to maintain the plant in normal form.
- Pruning is needed at least once a year to ration the number of fruitful shoots.
- Watering is carried out as needed. It can be 1-3 times a week - depending on the period of the year and the amount of natural moisture in the earth (snow, rain, groundwater, etc.). The gardener is important to ensure that the earth does not dry out and does not take a crust.
- Very rarely, and yet the currant. The Ural beauty can be affected by the sawfly, moth or spider mite. If they were seen on the site, it is urgent to use insecticides or traditional methods so that the diseases also do not start to develop. In the case of the latter, it is recommended to spray the plant with fungicides if possible.
- 2 times a month it is recommended to loosen the ground around the root zone and between the bushes. It is necessary for the aeration of the earth, as well as to avoid the active growth of weeds and the development of diseases, pests.
- For the first time after planting the culture in spring, fertilizing is carried out only for 2 years of growth, also in spring. This is done in order to increase the number of ovaries, plant development, increase green mass. In the summer you can also make fertilizer (mineral), if the bush does not grow well or the berries are small. For the third time, fertilizing is done in the fall so that the Ural beauty currant can recuperate after fruiting and increase its resistance to frost.
Harvesting and processing
Ural beauty currants are harvested after the berries are fully ripe, although you can start this procedure a little earlier for sale. Currant has excellent taste, used for fresh consumption and processing.
After harvesting, the berries can be stored for quite a long time, so there are usually no problems with transportation to the market. They are easy to transport, carry, as long as the container is suitable and that the berries are dark, since sooner or later they begin to wilt in the sun.
Reviews of currant Ural beauty
Below are reviews of gardeners who grow a variety of currant Ural beauty in their gardens.
Albina Boyko: “I bought a Ural beauty sapling via the Internet. At first I was skeptical, I thought I wouldn’t take root, but he quickly took root after spring planting, leaves appeared, he started growing. I really like berries.
Alexander Gorko: "I appreciate any berry bushes and trees by what kind of conservation is obtained. The Ural beauty was best liked in jam and compote. Fresh is sour for me, although the children ate with joy."
Tamara Drofeeva: “The first berries of the Ural beauty after planting received in the second year, this is the norm for the variety. I want to note that they do not taste sweet, but rather sweetish, with pronounced sourness. Since I like red currant tea very much, I conserved the jam and froze "Yes, and still have berries for the summer. In general, the variety is satisfied and I recommend it to everyone!"