Ducks - unpretentious birds. They eat practically everything that they are given with a big appetite. But, indiscriminate nutrition can lead to health problems, reduced productivity. And many birds are generally poisoned by the use of prohibited foods. Below in the article will be described how you can feed the ducks, and what food is considered dangerous for them.
Cereals in the diet of ducks
Duck feed basis - cereals
The basis of any poultry feed, including ducks, is cereals. They contain a lot of carbohydrates, proteins, fiber and therefore have a positive effect on the weight gain of the bird. But how can we feed ducks from cereals?
- Wheat is the easiest, familiar product available on the market. It is useful, but you can feed no more than 30% of the total mass of feed.
- Corn is well digested, but can cause obesity. Ducks love and eat it with great pleasure. It contains many vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. Giving corn can be in the amount of up to 50% of the total food volume.
Important! Cereals are given crushed, but not much. Fine dust can clog and stick together in the bird's nasal openings. [/ Su_box]
- Oats contain up to 5% fat and 15% protein. It is helpful and promotes rapid mass gain. Typically, this grain is used in fattening, but can be added to a simple diet. Only peeled oats, without a shell, are given.
Is it possible to give barley to ducksRead also these articles.
- Muscovy Duck Content
- Variety of tomato gina
- The best varieties of basil with a description
- Laura grape variety
Approximate diet for ducklings for meat, g per day
Many young breeders are wondering whether it is possible to feed barley to ducks. This is a coarse grain, but it is perfectly digested in the duck's stomach and therefore it can make up to 30% of the total mass of food.
So that the barley is well digested and does not cause problems with the stomach, the birds are given it cleaned from the shell. Also does not hurt his crush or germinate. Sometimes breeders simply soak barley to soften.
Can I feed the ducks peas
Knowing how to feed the ducks, you can make a varied, useful diet. Peas contain an abundance of nutrients, but is it possible to give it to ducks? Yes, these birds love peas and eat with pleasure, but before you add it to food, you should first grind it well.Important! Peas for birds are usually given dry, not fresh, from the garden in the pods.
Due to the fact that pea contains up to 20% of proteins, it allows the bird to quickly build up muscle mass, but it should be up to 10% in its diet, otherwise problems with the stomach will begin.
Waste of the agrarian industryWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Potato cultivar Impala
- What to feed the pigs?
- The best meat breeds of pigs
- Bentham Breed
In addition to cereals, it is useful to include waste from the agrarian industry in the ration of ducks. What can feed ducks from similar products?
- For fattening is very beneficial to use meal or cake. They are made from rapeseed, soybean, peanut, sunflower or cotton. The abundance of fats and minerals makes these products useful, but they can only be up to 7% of the total weight of the daily diet.
- Bran make up to 10% of grain feeds. In fact, it is the waste produced in the production of flour. They can begin to give no earlier than 20 days of age.
Also ducks can be fed bard (waste from beets and potatoes in the production of alcohol) and Baker's yeast.
Root and succulent feed
Photo feeding duck duckweed
The warm season is the time for vitamins. Ducks need fresh vegetables, roots, and, of course, greens for the normal functioning of the body. These products contain nutrients, vitamins, minerals, amino acids - everything you need to increase your productive qualities. However, in the summer season, as well as the spring, autumn, you can harm the bird, if you give something wrong, so it is important to understand what you can feed the ducks, and what not.
- Greens should be approximately 20% of any mash, if the bird does not have access to free-range even in the aviary. If there is walking, then you can not put grass in the mash - the bird will find it on its own. Ducks digest well the pea stalks, alfalfa, clover, nettles. They are usually harvested and crushed or simply planted in an open-air cage so that birds have access to them.
- Aquatic vegetation for ducks is a favorite delicacy. Plants growing in rivers, lakes, ponds should be present in their diet. And if the bird is not released to the pond, it is important to independently collect such greens and add to the mash. To such herbs can be attributed to duckweed, elodeyu, rdest and some others. Young animals can eat about 15 grams of aquatic greens per day, and adults - up to 500 g / day.
- Root crops, namely, carrots, boiled beets are necessarily given with mash beans throughout the year. In winter, they are not difficult to get, and for the bird it will be a real gift. Moreover, feeding vegetables and root vegetables reduces the risk of disease in the cold season.
- Vegetables contain many nutrients. They are added to the mash or give separately. K useful vegetables include cabbage, pumpkin, zucchini.
Is it possible to give ducks apples
Feeding the ducks to improve egg production
Apples are one of the few fruits that can be given to ducks. Before feeding, they must be crushed and then added to the mash. Ducks actively eat them, but it is advisable to give the birds only fresh and ripe fruit. Green or rotten apples can lead to indigestion.
Is it possible to give potatoes
Potatoes can not only be given, but also needed by ducks. It is fed even to young ducklings, but only little by little, so that they get used to various foods and receive useful substances.
As a rule, old potatoes are taken, not young ones. It should not be rotten, not spoiled. It is washed, boiled, crushed with a knife and sent to the mash together with other vegetables, herbs, cereals. Raw potatoes are not recommended. Birds can poison them, especially if there are green spots on the roots, or if they eat it too much.
The benefits of animal products
Products of animal origin must be included in the diet daily. They allow to increase egg production and egg quality, as well as to avoid the appearance of many diseases of bones, joints and muscles inherent in feathered animals.
- Meat and bone meal usually makes up to 10% of the total mass of feed. It has a lot of nutrients and 30-50% protein! Already from 5 days ducklings can be given it little by little, but only in small quantities!
- Fish meal contains a lot of vitamin B, as well as phosphorus, calcium and protein. In the total mass of its feed should be up to 7%.
- Insects are eaten by ducks on the run. They are useful and are sold in animal stores, so if necessary, you can buy them or independently catch in traps and add to the diet of birds.
- Dairy products contain a lot of protein, calcium, but very many ducks will not be able to give it - too expensive. But to maintain strength during the period of illness or in spring, when the body is weak, it does not hurt. Especially useful for duck low-fat cottage cheese.
Harm from animal products is possible if given in an inordinate amount or not traced and fed to the spoiled product.
Is it possible to feed the ducks with fish
Photo of a duck with ducklings in the summer on a walk
Animal products are good for poultry, but what about fresh fish? First of all, it should be noted that only small fish can be given to ducks. In addition, before serving it is desirable to grind. Such an additive will be useful at any time of the year, but if the ducks are given a lot of fresh fish, then fish meal, and even meat and bone meal, should be completely excluded from the diet.
Minerals and duck vitamins are obtained with greens, vegetables, fruits, as well as mineral supplements. What can feed ducks from minerals?
- Gravel and coarse sand help better digest solid food, like grain. They literally grind it into small particles in the stomach. Approximately 10 g of such a mixture should go away per individual per week, but usually the breeders do not measure the rate, but simply pour the gravel and sand into a separate container and place it in the chicken bowl - the bird will eat it when the need arises.
Changing the diet of ducks depending on the season
- Bonemeal makes up 2-3% of the total mass of food. It contains a lot of minerals, but if fresh fish is given to ducks, this supplement can be excluded from the diet.
- Chalk and shell, salt is necessary for the formation of a normal, durable shell of duck eggs. If the females do not have enough of them, they can even begin to lay eggs without any shells at all!
What can not feed the ducks
A number of products can harm the ducks, especially if you constantly include them in the diet.
- Fresh milk quickly sour, especially in the duckling, where the temperature is elevated. Even in winter, it can quickly turn sour, and in summer even more so. So give it must be carefully or even deleted.
- Certain herbs for ducks are prohibited. Among them: henbane, celandine, cocklebur, poisonous milestones and other types of poisonous greens. In no case should ducks eat maple leaves - they can lead to the death of birds.
- Nettle is fed only after it was poured with boiling water. Otherwise, small hairs will irritate the walls of the ducks stomach.
Can I feed the ducks bread
Can I feed the ducks bread
Often breeders are interested in, is it possible to give bread to ducks? This is not a harmful product, if fed in small quantities and in a soaked form. Soak can be in milk or water. Such a delicacy diversifies the diet of birds and will contribute to better digestion of food. At the same time, ducks should not be given moldy bread, spoiled. It provokes a variety of diseases.