Katumsky sheep - a new breed, obtained by crossing different species. Refers to the meat direction. Differs in unsurpassed taste of the most delicate meat, resembling beef. It has a lot of positive qualities for which it is highly appreciated. Features of the breed, its characteristics, methods of breeding and care, discussed in this article.
The Katumskaya breed of sheep was bred by breeder Oleg Lebedev in 2013 by crossing katadin and Romanov sheep. The selection was carried out at the Katum agricultural enterprise, from where the breed got its name.
During the work on obtaining a new species, a rigid selection of individuals was conducted. All animals that somehow did not meet the set standards were rejected. Today this species is not yet officially registered and is still being finalized, but young individuals can already be purchased for breeding.
Animals of the Katumian breed have a muscular body and strong bones.
Breed description Katumsky sheepRead also these articles.
- Sterilization of cans in the oven
- Bellarosa potato variety
- What can and should not be given to turkeys
- Breed description Toulouse geese
Animals of the Katumian breed have a muscular body and strong bones. Average height - in males 70-80 cm at the withers, but the females are slightly lower. The weight of a sheep is 100-110 kg on average, sheep - 75-80 kg. The body is in the form of a barrel, the chest is wide, the back is straight. Legs are straight, long. The tail is of medium length. The head is small, disproportionate to the body. The muzzle is narrow. No horns. Ears of medium size, horizontally arranged.Important! Katumsky sheep are very hardy. They can travel many miles tirelessly daily and even climb hills.
Animal hair is short. In winter, they have a dense undercoat that protects the body from severe frosts. Color, as a rule, red with several spots of brown or white, randomly located on the body.
Characteristics of Katumsky sheep
From many other breeds of sheep, Katum are distinguished by a number of characteristic features.
Salmon can be up to 2 times a year
- The hair of a wild animal is medium hard, dense (protects from cold).
- Lean meat, very tasty, tender, with a pleasant smell.
- Plurality (2-3 lambs per okote).
- Okot can be up to 2 times a year.
- Early maturity - 30 days old lambs already weigh 15 kg. At 1.5 years, females reach 70-80 kg, and males - 90-110 kg.
- During lactation, sheep give a lot of high quality milk.
Sheep Katum breed differ calm temper, very affectionate. It’s easy to work with them because they are obedient. The flock follows the shepherd where it is needed, but in addition the animals are betrayed to the sheep-leader who is in every flock.
Sheep breeding and careWe recommend reading our other articles.
- How to plant dill seeds
- Growing broiler turkeys
- Tomato variety Miracle of the Earth
- Grape variety Augustine
For breeding Katumsky breed, it is necessary to equip a spacious room where animals will live. It must have a stall, a place for feeding, animal inspection, as well as special departments for pregnant females and those that have recently lambed.
Inside there should be no drafts. The roof is equipped on a mandatory basis, good to protect from the sun and from the rain. If the region is characterized by severe frosts in the winter, the shed is insulated or heated. Ideally, the temperature in the stall should be maintained at + 10 ... +15 degrees throughout the year.
Katumsky sheep love purity
For the summer, you can make a simple canopy on the street to keep animals regularly in the fresh air. It is important to let the animals out every day for a walk (if the weather permits), because they grow poorly in captivity.Important! Katumsky sheep love cleanliness. If the stall is not cleaned on time or there is increased humidity, they will start to hurt, their behavior will deteriorate, and productivity will decrease.
Care for wool is minimal. The main thing is sometimes to carry out cleaning, combing it, so as not to pollute. Shear this breed of sheep is not necessary, the fur does not grow long. But keep in mind that in the spring animals discard the undercoat, which appears for the winter, so you need to either combing or more frequent cleaning.
Unlike many other types of sheep, the Katum people have a strong immunity, but they also need planned vaccinations, checkups and timely treatment in case of anything. Diseases of hoofs, teeth, and ears are just as characteristic of them as other breeds, so this cannot be neglected. At least once a year you should call the veterinarian to inspect the animals, but in addition, you should check them yourself weekly or more often.
Features feeding Katumsky sheep
In nutrition, the Katumian breed of sheep is picky. Even herbs that other species have refused can be eaten by animals. In the summer, sheep and sheep eat mostly fresh grass, but in addition, it is important for them to give hay, grain, vegetables. If the amount of concentrates is less than 15%, animals will grow poorly. In winter, the diet consists of straw, hay, silage (if possible), grain, and root crops. Next to the feeders and drinkers put salt lizuny. This must be done on a mandatory basis, because salt is an important part of the diet of any breed of sheep.Important! The transfer from winter to summer feeding and vice versa is carried out gradually.
The table below gives an idea of what and in what quantities adult Katum sheep should consume.
|Feed Type||Adult animals and females in 1 half of pregnancy||2 half of pregnancy (kg)||The first 6-8 weeks of lactation (kg)|
|Vegetables (potatoes, beets, carrots)||1||1,5||1,5|
And how to feed the young? Table of approximate ration by month is presented below.
|Feed Type||4-8 months (kg)||8-10 months (kg)||10-12 months (kg)|
|Vegetables (potatoes, beets, carrots)||1||2||2|
In the summer, the amount of grass eaten is never limited. Animals must eat plenty! Observing the rules of feeding adult sheep and young animals, you can get highly productive individuals with excellent health.
From about 4 months of age the lambs completely leave the female
The first mating of animals is carried out from 4 months or later, when their mass reaches 80% of the weight of an adult. A month before mating, sheep and sheep are given high-quality grass, concentrates, and premixes in order to increase disease resistance and activate the immune system. If possible, high-quality feed is purchased.
The period of gestation of offspring is 5 months. The female usually transfers the gestation period and the lambing itself without any problems. After birth, the first 2 weeks the lamb eats only my mother's milk. At week 3, you can start feeding vegetables (potatoes, carrots), but in small quantities. It is not worth to separate young individuals from mother for a long time, so that she can constantly watch and care for them. From about 4 months old, the young individuals completely leave the female.
Advantages and disadvantages of Katumsky sheep
Summing up, we can identify the main advantages and disadvantages of the breed. So, what are the advantages of this type?
- Animals are large. The weight of an adult male reaches 110 kg, and that of a female 80 kg.
- Slaughter meat yield - 53%.
- The nature of the animals is peaceful, calm. They do not behave aggressively without a reason.
- Sheep shearing is not necessary, which greatly simplifies the care.
- The coat is short, but protects from the cold.
- The food is picky.
- For one mating sheep gives 2-3 lamb.
- Can be grown in the northern regions of Russia.
- The breed has a strong immune system.
- The term of life is 10 years.
Katumsky sheep can be grown in the northern regions of Russia
The disadvantages of the form.
- Mixed genetics - an admixture of 2 breeds, and signs of the species in subsequent generations may disappear.
- Individuals quickly become ill in a draft, therefore the room for their maintenance should be well isolated from external cataclysms.
- Katumsky sheep need to eat a lot of fresh grass.
It is profitable to breed the Katumian sheep. These are unpretentious creations with good health. In addition, they have excellent taste of meat, so that the demand for products is always high.
Reviews of Katumskaya breed of sheep
Katumskaya breed is currently poorly distributed, due to its recent appearance. But many farmers now want to breed it due to high productivity.
- Dmitry Bayduzh: “I have been breeding sheep for many years. A year ago I heard about a new breed, Katumskaya. I was looking for a long time where I could get a few individuals, I had to go after them to the farm“ Katumy. ”The animals are very obedient, they eat a lot, but they grow fast. For 6 months, I have already grown big lambs. In general, I am satisfied with the view, I will breed. "
- Maria Solovey: "Many farmers are now interested in a new breed of sheep, Katumskaya. We also decided to purchase 10 young sheep after we tried the meat of this species. To be honest, this is just excellent taste! The meat is delicate, juicy, it does not have that unpleasant smell from the usual lamb. In the care the animals are picky. We keep our flocks in a small shed. We live in the Moscow region, and the sheep calmly endure frosts - they are very hardy and have good health. "
- Vlad Kravets: “The Katum breed of sheep is good for almost everyone, but unfortunately, it is still unfinished, because some young individuals are deprived of the qualities of their parents. They are certainly beneficial in breeding, it’s convenient that you don’t need to cut the wool, and the endurance pleases. And yet needs some work. "