Strawberry Gigantella is strikingly different from other varieties of culture, both in the size of the berries and in the size of the bush. The plant is easy to propagate, thanks to a sufficient number of whiskers and quick survival. And if you make an effort and carefully consider growing, strawberries will pay back with a rich, high-quality crop.
Description of strawberry variety Gigantella
Variety Gigantella is the result of the work of Dutch breeders. The full name of this species is Gigantella Maxim. Strawberry is a mid-late species.
Gigantella has large bushes, up to 60 cm high
Strawberry Gigantella has large bushes, up to 60 cm high, sprawling. The leaves are large with corrugated, slightly torn edges. The color is light green, in the second year of the bush's life, reddish streaks may appear on the plate. Antennae appear in sufficient quantity. They have a powerful stem, they attach well to the ground.Important! The older the Gigantella bush, the smaller the mustache it gives.
The berries are large with pressed sides and ridge tip. The weight of the first berries in a season reaches 100 g, and those that appear later in 30-60 g. The skin is slightly rough and grainy to the touch. The color is deep red, very bright. The flesh is usually without voids, elastic, dull, red. Taste is pleasant, sweet, juicy. The smell is muffled.
The weight of the first berries in the season reaches 100 g
Gigantella characteristicsRead also these articles.
- Raspberry Pride of Russia
- Raspberry variety Yellow Giant
- Eggplant Diamond
Gigantella strawberry has both positive and negative features, all of which are presented in its characteristics.
- Large, tasty berries, but the smell is mild.
- Up to 1.5 kg of berries are harvested from the bush per season.
- Shrubs need professional care, otherwise the yield will decrease, and the berries will grow small.
- The variety does not tolerate drought and intense heat, at which time it is required to make an artificial shade for the bushes.
- The variety is subject to attacks by pests and diseases.
The berries are suitable for long-term transportation and have commercial quality.
- Berries are suitable for long-term transportation and have commercial quality.
- After harvesting, the harvest can be stored for a long time.
- Berries are suitable for different types of processing, including freezing.
- Frost resistance is average.
Propagated strawberries Gigantella Maxim, as a rule, a mustache. Seeds are not suitable for this, because bushes grown from them usually do not retain maternal qualities. The land on the plot where Gigantella is planned to be grown should be nutritious. Good loam. The place is chosen sunny, well lit. Before planting, it is dug over with peat and humus.Interesting! The best predecessors for strawberries are legumes.
The distance between plants should be at least 50-60 cm, and between rows - 60-100 cm
Landing is carried out in the middle of spring or autumn. For this, separate rows are made with holes. The distance between plants should be no less than 50-60 cm, and between rows 60-100 cm. If thick strawberries are placed, it cannot fully develop, the sun will be missed, and the berries will grow small as a result. You can plant strawberries of this type and in a checkerboard pattern.
During planting, seedlings (they must be at least 5 leaves) are placed in the hole. The roots are buried, and then the beds need to be watered properly so that the earth is soaked with water. Germs sprout very quickly if they are watered in a timely manner.
Strawberry Gigantella CareWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Collins Peach Variety
- Feeding seedlings pepper
- Planting cucumbers in open ground
- Recipes lecho with carrots
Strawberry Gigantella is a very capricious plant. It is not easy to grow in comparison with other varieties. Only with a professional approach to care can you get full, abundant yields.
Watering is strictly regulated and carried out according to a certain regime.
- Watering is strictly regulated and carried out according to a certain regime. If the moisture in the garden is disturbed during the ripening of the crop, voids are formed inside the berries, but at the same time, rot can develop from frequent watering. Watering the plants should be defended with warm water every 3 days. If there is a drought, the procedure can be intensified, and if it rains frequently, watering is temporarily stopped, that is, it is important to pay attention to the weather!
- In order for more berries to appear on the bush, all antennae break immediately after the appearance. And in order to get more whiskers, it is necessary to pick flower stalks.
- Update beds are carried out with a frequency of 5-8 years. It should be borne in mind that adult bushes bear less fruit than young.
- Weeds with the emergence of uprooted. Rows need to weed at least 2 times a week.
- Mulching will help to avoid the growth of weeds. Usually, the aisles and the spaces between bushes in a row are mulched. Mulching strawberries allowed conifer, straw, agrofibre.
Mulching will help avoid weedy growth
- Feeding is carried out from the second year of growth. Nitrogen substances (ammonium nitrate) are brought only in the spring, so that the bushes move away from the cold weather and young leaves start to grow. 2 times a year (before flowering and after harvesting) a mixture of superphosphate, potassium chloride and ammonium nitrate is used.
- Strawberry shrubs Gigantella are often attacked by pests and diseases. To avoid this, it is necessary to treat the culture with insecticides and fungicides 3 times per season - in early May, early August and towards the end of September. And in order to scare away annoying insects, you can scatter onion peel around the garden or simply plant onions in between rows. The smell of marigolds and parsley also helps against pests.
Gigantella bushes are often attacked by pests.
- The variety cannot be called very cold-resistant, the bushes can freeze out, therefore it is advisable to prepare them for winter frosts. The foliage of this variety is not trimmed, the old leaves will contribute to the new crop to ripen faster next year. To protect the bushes, remove all the dry leaves, sick, then the beds are mulched with 20-25 cm of straw. This will be quite enough so that the strawberries do not suffer from frost.
The ripened crop is harvested as it appears and is used for sale, fresh consumption or processing. Often made from this variety is canned, but the berries can also be frozen or dried.
Reviews gardeners about strawberries Gigantella
Strawberry variety Gigantella is known for its large, beautiful berries. Reviews gardeners about her there are both positive and negative.
Ripe crops are harvested as they appear.
- Tamara Malinovskaya: "In my garden, Maxim Gigantella strawberry is the biggest berry. I do my own growing. It's not easy, you need to constantly pay attention to the bushes, but as a result a lot of beautiful berries grow. Strawberries are very tasty, suitable for processing. I tried and frozen. After thawing, berries only partially lose their shape, flavor and taste remain. "
- Valery Zemleduh: "Gigantella strawberry is a very good variety, but not the best option for growing in the garden. It requires too much effort in terms of care. When instead of this variety planted Maryshka strawberries, there was a lot of time to care for other crops. So yes, in terms of the size of the Gigantella berries, there is no equal, but as for taste, aroma and care, there are more worthy varieties. "
- Artem Barsukov: “We grow Gigantella strawberries in the garden for more than 4 years. Despite the impressive age of the bushes, they yield regular and abundant crops. We use berries partially for sale, partially for making jam. The preservation from it is very tasty and the lack of flavor is compensated for by seasoning. We do not usually cook the whole berries, but cut them, because they look too big in cans. "